Painting the bikeshed
Or, a list of names for prgmr.com physical servers.
12 labors of Hercules
Beginning with the quad-core Intel machines, we use the Twelve Labors of Hercules.
- lion - console from boar
- hydra - hydra and older need partitions rather than lvextend for additional disk space.
- hind - decommissioned
(Bonus quest from The Onion).
Kaguya's Impossible Requests
Post-Hercules, we're using Kaguya's impossible requests.
That night, Taketori no Okina told the five princes what each of them must bring. The first was told to bring her the stone begging bowl of the Buddha from India. The second was told to retrieve a jewelled branch from the island of Penglai. The third was told to seek the legendary robe of the fire-rat of China. The fourth must retrieve a colored jewel from a dragon's neck. The final prince was told to find the seashell treasure of the swallows.
Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain
Having run through Kaguya, we're moving on to the Thirteen Treasures of the Island of Britain.
- hamper - console from hydra
- dish - missing many domu kernel mod
- chessboard - out of action... bios upgrade badness?
- mantle - 32GiB single-socket amd G34
Note that we're coming perilously close to a collision -- I especially like the clothing ("girdle", "robe", "coat", and "mantle") and crockery ("bowl", "cauldron", "crock", "dish"). Weaponry, surprisingly enough, only shows up twice. The preponderance of animals, we may assume, is due to some predilection on the part of the Greeks.
Unless someone has a better idea, the Chinese provide the next list:
- pearl - 32GiB 8 core amd G34 system
- lozenges 1012G-mtf 8 core/32G ram system.
- chime 1012G-mtf 8 core/32G ram system.
- horns - skipping. too much like 'horn'.
- coins - 1012G-mtf 8 core/32G ram system.
Eight Principles of Yong
And the next:
- (horn skipped)
- beak ('bird' is too close to birds, and 'pecking' just sounds silly.)
Ten Plagues of Egypt
Up next, the ten plagues of Egypt:
ICAO Spelling Alphabet
Next, we will go for the ICAO spelling alphabet